Reserve-Based Lending Versus Advance Royalty Company’s Advanced Royalty Program
At Advance Royalty Company we offer a pioneering program we call the Advanced Royalty Program. First, we conduct a full analysis of the revenue you are receiving. From that analysis, we loan money against your future revenue for a specified term. The checks you were receiving for your royalties will now go into an escrow account for the duration of the term, not affecting the ownership of your mineral rights. Below, we’ll take a look at the difference between reserve-based lending and our advanced royalty payment plan as these are both ways to leverage your current cash flows.
RESERVE-BASED LENDING (RBL)
RBLs have been a steadfast way of financing in the oil and gas industry for decades. They assign a value to an entity’s producing assets, and different categories of undeveloped assets, then loan on a fraction of that asset base. They secure these loans through a security interest in these oil and gas reserves. They can offer fairly attractive interest rates, however, market conditions and customer actions can have significant impacts on the value of an RBL. Reserve-based lending solutions are subject to reassessment periodically, where the amount of money that a bank is willing to lend is adjusted. If commodity prices fall, the value of the reserves falls accordingly, causing the RBL amount to also fall. In addition, if a customer pulls down the entire amount of their facility, it can be an event of reassessment, causing the interest rate to rise or the loan amount to fall. All of these factors create more uncertainty around RBLs, than one would consider at first glance.
As you can imagine, this process requires a lot of speculation. Some unknowns include:
- Commodity price volatility — as prices fall your reserve-based lending can be reassessed as the value of the reserves have fallen accordingly.
- Extraction expenditures. As mentioned above, some methods of extraction are much more involved, which raises the cost. Thus, the condition of the surrounding rock will be a big determining factor in your loan amount as well.
SOME BENEFITS OF RBL LOANS
- Relatively straight-forward lending options
- Flexible in drawdown and repayment profiles
- Suitable for pre-producing assets with development capex
SOME DISADVANTAGES OF RBL LOANS
- Shorter repayment periods than other funding options
- Refinancing risk
- Security required
- Conservative evaluation of your assets
- Fees plus interest
- A longer lending process with more paperwork and hoops to jump through
- Your loan can be reevaluated and restructured
- You’ll most likely need a personal guarantee
ADVANCE ROYALTY COMPANY’S ADVANCED ROYALTY PROGRAM
The mission of Advance Royalty Company is to allow you to keep your mineral rights while obtaining money up-front in exchange for us keeping your royalty payments. We’ve developed our own Advanced Royalty Payment, or Advanced Royalty Program, to help you with the money you need today. Here’s how it works:
- We take a look at your past and current royalty checks and conduct a full analysis that allows us to understand the different variables of your royalty check: volume, gross price, deductions, and taxes are some of the factors accounted for. These variables are the levers that determine your net revenue. Once we examine all of your royalty checks and collect additional information about the asset itself, we’ll make a no-obligation, lump-sum offer.
- Should you agree to our offer, you will receive that lump-sum within 10 days.
- Then we use your royalty checks to pay down your loan amounts for you. They are safely deposited into an escrow account. We do this for the agreed upon term. Then, once the term is up, you will receive your royalty checks once again.
If you are thinking that this sounds really simple — it is! Our Advanced Royalty Program allows you to keep your mineral rights and get a portion of your future earnings today in exchange for us collecting your future mineral rights royalty payments.
SOME BENEFITS OF ADVANCED ROYALTY PROGRAM
- Fast payment
- Straight-forward due diligence
- Funds received in whole, up front
- No credit check or a record of a loan on your credit report
- Keep future royalties outside of the agreed upon term
- No personal guarantee needed
- Based on cash flow
- Manages price risk
SOME DISADVANTAGES OF ADVANCED ROYALTY PROGRAM
- Cost of Capital can be higher than reserve-based lending if commodity prices rise
- Non-traditional structure